How to Make a Complaint to the Ombudsman

The Alaska State Ombudsman investigates complaints about state agencies.

We accept complaints by telephone, email, and through our secure and confidential online complaint portal. You can call our Intake Team at 907.269.5290 Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You can email your complaint to If you would like to make a complaint in writing, you can use our complaint form and mail it to 1500 West Benson Boulevard, Anchorage, Alaska 99503.

If you need assistance or would like to speak with our Intake team about your complaint, please call 907.269.5290.

UPDATED INFORMATION: Complaints about Food Stamps and Adult Public Assistance

The Alaska State Ombudsman can no longer investigate complaints about the Division of Public Assistance that allege a delay in review, processing, or determination of Food Stamp/SNAP or Adult Public Assistance cases. This is because state law and regulation exclude matters subject to a judicial process from ombudsman authority. Kamkoff et al. v. Department of Health, filed January 20, 2023, and recently removed to federal court, is a class action lawsuit that alleges that the Division is not timely processing SNAP cases. Edwards v. Department of Health, filed April 17, 2023, is a class action lawsuit that alleges that the Division is not timely processing Adult Public Assistance cases. Learn more here.

We can review complaints about other public assistance programs, including: Medicaid, TANF/ATAP, Senior Benefits, Heating Assistance, WIC, and General Relief.

For information about the class action suits, contact the Northern Justice Project at (907) 308-3395.

People who have been waiting more than 30 days for a determination of their SNAP eligibility can contact Alaska Legal Services for assistance at 1-888-478-2572 or apply online at

If you need food now, you can find food bank/pantry information below.

Anchorage/MatSu    Juneau/Southeast    Fairbanks   Other Communities