Community Resources

The Alaska State Ombudsman only reviews complaints about Alaska state government agencies. If your complaint is about a non-profit organization, city or borough government, or other organization, the resources below might be able to help you.

Anchorage City Government

The Anchorage Ombudsman investigates complaints about municipal agencies, including the Anchorage Police Department, AnchorRIDES and the bus system, Health and Human Services, and other departments. File a complaint online or call 907.343.4461 for more information.

Emergency, Basic Needs, and Other Community Resources
Alaska 2-1-1 is a referral service for hundreds of community resources. These include help with emergency food and shelter, disability services, counseling, senior services, health care services, child care, drug and alcohol disorder treatment, legal assistance, transportation, educational opportunities, and more. Visit or call 2-1-1.

Consumer Complaints

The Alaska Consumer Protection Unit investigates consumer complaints about unfair or deceptive business practices and files legal actions on behalf of the State of Alaska to stop such practices. The Consumer Protection Unit also helps with informal mediation of consumer complaints. You can file a consumer complaint here.

Better Business Bureau Northwest investigates complaints about goods and services received from business. You can make a complaint here. can help you report and recover from identity theft.

Learn more about how to be a safe consumer, and what to do when a purchase or service goes wrong at

Landlord & Tenant Complaints

The Landlord and Tenant Helpline, staffed by volunteer attorneys, is open to receive calls Monday-Thursday from 6 - 8 pm. Call:
907.743.1000 in Anchorage
855.743.1001 outside Anchorage

The Alaska Landlord & Tenant Act: what it means to you explains the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants in Alaska.

Health Care Provider

The Division of Professional Licensing investigates complaints about specific Alaska health care providers (doctor, nurse, dentist, optometrist, etc.). Call 907.269.8437 or fill out a request for contact by an investigator online.


Alaska State Commission for Human Rights enforces the Alaska Human Rights Law. It reviews complaints from people who have experienced discrimination because of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, age, parenthood. or marital status. Call 907.274.4692 for more information about how to make a complaint.

In Anchorage, the Anchorage Equal Rights Commission investigates complaints about discrimination by local businesses, landlords, employers, and municipal government agencies. Call 907.343.4342 for more information.

Nursing Homes, Assisted Living Homes

The Long Term Care Ombudsman (LTCO) is an advocate for residents of nursing homes and assisted living homes, helping them to resolve their complaints with the facilities. They also provide information, referral, and consultation to seniors living in the community and their families. Call 907.334.4480 or 800.730.6393 for more information.

Elder Abuse or Neglect
Adult Protective Services investigates allegations of abuse or neglect of vulnerable adults, including adults with disabilities and senior citizens. Call 907.269.3666 for information or to make a report of harm. If you believe an elder or disabled adult is in immediate danger, call your local police or the Alaska State Troopers.

Social Security

The Social Security Administration is a federal government agency and not jurisdictional for the Alaska State Ombudsman. If your complaint is about a representative payee appointed by the Social Security Administration, contact your local Social Security Office. The general toll free number is 1.800.772.1213.

For information about appealing Social Security benefits decisions, go to Appeal a Decision or contact Alaska Legal Services Corporation at 888.478.2572.

Federal Complaints

The following Alaska elected officials may be able to help you with federal agencies:

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has a taxpayer advocate who can help with problems related to your federal income taxes.

The Small Business Administration Ombudsman can assist small businesses with complaints about excessive federal regulatory enforcement actions, such as repetitive audits or investigations, excessive fines, threats, retaliation, or other unfair enforcement action by a federal agency.

Insurance Complaints

The Division of Insurance Consumer Services Section reviews complaints about insurance agencies that operate in Alaska. For more information call 907.269.7900 in Anchorage or 800.467.8732 outside Anchorage.

Complaints About Lawyers
The Alaska Bar Association reviews complaints about Alaska attorneys. Call 907.272.7469 or file a grievance online.

Complaints About Judges

The Ombudsman does not have jurisdiction to review judges’ decisions. The Alaska Commission on Judicial Conduct reviews complaints related to judicial conduct. Complaints must be made in writing and sent to:

Alaska Commission on Judicial Conduct
510 L Street, Suite 585
Anchorage, Alaska 99501

Personal Disputes
Problems or disputes between two individuals can sometimes be resolved through Small Claims Court. For more information, read the Alaska Court System’s Small Claims Handbook.